Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Turning Twenty (I wish I was turning twenty again!)


It only took two years for me to find a beginning quilting class in my town (any class for that matter). It's a good thing I obsessively check the Dickinson online classifieds and found the advertisement about a week before the class. As luck would have it, they are having a knitting class soon too. Is it ironic that these events happen the same month I find out Dickinson is rumored to get a Pita Pit? Yahoo for some more "culture" up north (if you count easy access to a gyro culture.)

Anyhow, here is the finished quilt top. I wasn't thrilled with my color choices once the quilt was done, but absolutely loved the process. This particular quilt , the turning twenty, was super easy, relatively cheap for materials, and can be completed in a day. It uses twenty fat quarters and basic strait stitching and piecing. It was a nice refresher. I have only sewed pillow case covers in the last two years and I got this quilt done in a day.

My love for quilting and sewing has always been present, but I think it was dormant and for some reason has recently been lit into a blazing bonfire (as noted by the new sewing machine purchase..stay tuned). Who knows why this is...but I feel like it is something I really want to develop. I tend to get a whole group of hobbies that I am mediocre at: scrap booking, knitting, jewelry making, blogging etc. Sewing has been around the longest but has taken the longest to want to fully commit too. I guess I truly am becoming my mother in many ways. As a now fourth generation (beginner) quilter/sewer, expect more to come (I have two quilts coming soon). This post is for you mom. I promise to update more often and stop pinning (pinteresting?) so much.

Also, as a note, Eric and I have been very busy. Duck season started a few weeks ago, we have begun another house overhaul on the garage, we had a vacation and some visitors, have been processing veggies like mad, and have been prepping the house, yard and garden for the snow that we hope is a long way off (say a prayer please).

Since I am somewhat type A, for those of you who would like to know, our first snowfall last year was on Sept. 22. We had 80 degree weather this past weekend, but you never know when the snow will hit. Our crazy winter last year accumulated 99 inches of snow and major ND flooding in the news. I have heard rumors of anywhere from 109-200 inches predicted this winter, so our hopes for a mild season have been crushed (were they really realistic hopes anyway?) I guess that means we will be up north sewing and eating a lot of pitas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...