Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Deer Valley Granola


I recently took this into work for a birthday and got many compliments. I typically make my grandma southward's granola but thought I would change it up. After eating this a few days I am not sure which one I like better. They are both very different. I will have to post about my grandma's another time. Hers is softer and chewier and chunkier which is why I like it. This one is finer and crunchier which is why Eric likes it. Both are very good. One think I like about this one is that it is sweetened with only honey and no other sugars. It has a really good flavor too and has sesame seeds in it. Some of the ingredients are things you might not keep on hand, but once you get them it is really easy to make this.

This recipe came from one of my clinical supervisor's in grad school. It was out of her family cook book and apparently is from a coffee shop in Deer Valley, UT that is known for it's granola. I am not sure about that though, because I have never been there to verify.

Deer Valley Granola:

3 c. old fashioned oats
1c. instant nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 c. sunflower seeds
3/4 c. sliced almonds
1/3 c. sesame seeds
1/3 c. pumpkin seeds
1/3 c. coconut
1/4 c. canola oil
 (I use olive oil instead, I feel it is healthier)
1/2 c. honey or agave
(I use honey, just like the flavor better)
1/2 t. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300. Mix all dry ingredients. Measure oil in 1c. measurer and swish it up to the 3/4 c. mark and add honey (this makes the honey come out of the cup easier). Pour vanilla into honey mixture and then pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix with your hands. It won't seem like enough wet ingredients if you don't mix with your hands. Get it worked into the dry stuff really well. Spread on 1/2 inch deep baking sheet and bake 30 min. stirring halfway through. makes 8, 1 c. servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...