Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Kitchen Counters

We've started our granite tile counter top. They are a lot of work and time consuming but a HUGE money saver. I refuse REFUSE to put laminate counters in my house. I understand they look OK and are practical and blah blah blah. I won't do it. I just can't and since it is thousands of dollars for any solid surface counter that isn't plain white, tile is the way we went. We purchased the bull nose edge pieces which needed 45 degree cuts on the corners. This was a little tricky to get them perfect, but it worked out after building a jig and renting a better tile saw than what we own. When the corners were matched, we ground the edges so they weren't sharp. We're hoping the granite polishing pads really work because our edges are now dull-to the touch and look. After the edges were secure we made some precise cuts, used 1/16th inch grout spacers and tiled away. Our grout should be here later this week and the progress will continue. Here's how they look. Oh, our granite tile is Baltic brown. I tried to get a shot of it, but it doesn't look great. Take my word for it, it's gorgeous.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...