Sunday, August 29, 2010

Harvest Time

cutting

some of the many bins we processed

corn coming out of our ears
(note eric's bathroom goat, now that the bathroom is finished he is again clean shaven)

A few weeks ago we went out to a farm in Gladstone, ND (about 15 miles away) to help with the sweet corn harvest. When we were invited I assumed we'd go out in the field, pick some corn, take some home in a bag, and then enjoy the potluck lunch. Boy was I wrong. We got there a little late because we had to make a seven layer dip to take and walked in on an entire pick up bed full of sweet corn. We jumper right in helping husk the corn and how lovely it was when you got a rotten one. While husking was happening another team started the water boiling. Once the corn could start blanching yet another team started cutting and bagging. I was mostly on the cutting team and by the end of the time half dried sweet corn in my hair, on my clothes, stuck to my sunglasses (I think there is still some there) and had sore hands from all the work. We headed out with oh, 40 pounds of corn which has now filled up the freezer in our house. Deep freeze purchase has not been added to the list since butchering at the farm is in the fall and Eric signed us up for a 1/2 pig and 1/4 beef. I will not be helping with butchering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...