Friday, December 16, 2011

Breakfast Bars

As typically happens in booming areas, whether it be due to oil or other reasons, the cost of living increases dramatically. A few weeks ago we spotted some groceries at Wal-Mart that had literally doubled in price. These kind of events prompt us to make it ourselves or grow it and freeze it. We are trying to decrease our grocery cost as a whole. One of the things I absolutely hate buying is granola bars. I just think they are way overpriced for what you get. Instead we've been making this recipe weekly and tweaking it as we feel the need. I haven't actually priced the total cost of all the ingredients and how long they last to see if it really is cheaper, but it makes me feel healthier and better overall to be making my own.

I started with a basic power bar recipe called JoAnn's power bars from all recipes. The more I made the recipe the more I changed it up a little bit. I take the basic recipe which makes a 9x9 pan and double it. Some times I split it into two small batches and leave the applesauce out of one batch for a crunchier version.

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat and barley nugget cereal (e.g. Grape-Nuts™)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup honey (instead I use agave nectar)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I either add extra applesauce or use peanut butter)
1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (If I double the recipe I use 1/4 walnut 1/4 sliced almonds, if not I do 1/8 each)
1 (7 ounce) bag chopped dried mixed fruit

To this recipe (the 9x9) I add the following, double these amounts for a double batch:
1/4 c. chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter chips
1 T whole flax seed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...