Monday, December 19, 2011

Burgoyne Surrounded Quilt

Holy H-E-double hockey sticks! It's done! I finally finished the mystery quilt. I think I started this class in late October or early November. The deadline was to have the quilts turned in by Halloween. Obviously I am a little late, but when Eric was up at the quilt store picking up his hunting pants that needed repaired, the owner told him nobody had turned in their quilt yet. Maybe I will be the first one to turn it in.

The mystery quilt class was to make a queen size quilt for the Minot flood victims, many of whom lost their homes and belongings. We were given a discount on material, and the class and quilting for free. The catch was we had to sew the top. What a catch it was. The quilt was supposed to be a beginner quilt. It probably is a beginner quilt, but it sure doesn't look like it and REALLY didn't feel like it. Not only was it very time consuming for do all the sewing, but it had to be really precise since the tiny squares ended up being only one inch.

For a starting quilter like me it was a good learning experience and I feel like  even finishing it is an accomplishment. There are mistakes of course. Some of my pressing is iffy, my seams are sewed in the wrong direction in a few places, I have one or two gathers, and my 1/4 seams aren't perfect making some of the squares not line up totally perfect. BUT....I finished it and it really looks pretty amazing (although I wish I would have picked different colors). I feel a lot more confident about my sewing and have never been more excited to start something new. I now understand why some quilters and sewers have 4-5 projects or more at a time. I really got tired of this quilt and wanted to work on something else sooo many times. I really hated having a missed deadline for finishing hanging over my head even more though. I knew if I stopped the work it would be a while before I went back to it. So, here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...