Thursday, December 8, 2011

Winter Skin

If you google image "winter skin" this is one of the many pictures that come up.
all the other ones that show up are similar in nature and ridiculous.
My skin FREAKS out in the winter. Negative temperatures, poor water intake (my own fault), crazy wind, and miserable weather prompted me to rework my skincare routine and hopefully find some better solutions. While I was at it, I decided to go paraben free and as natural as possible. Here's the new line up that is working out well so far.

St Ives 24 hour deep restoring 24 hour moisture lotion
After reading labels for way too long at Valmart (part of the "w" at our store is not lit up this week), I found this on the bottom shelf, never expecting it would be paraben free with recycled plastic in the bottle and for a reasonable price. So far I am really liking this as and all over body moisturizer. To get more details about it here's the link. I also really like Alba very emollient body lotion, but it's more expensive and I had just finished a bottle of it. I was looking to try something new.

Onto face wash. I was using Ponds cold cream, which I love, but isn't natural. At first I tried Avalon Organics vitamin C cleanser for all of the good reasons it lists on the website and the SMELL! It smells like oranges. I really wish it would have worked out but it gave me lizard face (that scaly dry tight feeling skin) and I couldn't stand it, especially combined with our weather. I was miserable for a week until I bought this:

Burt's Bees sensitive skin cleanser
I have always had very sensitive skin which is probably why the first wash I tried didn't go well. This stuff is amazing! It is soap free too, which my sister tells is why some face washes can be drying. It's also hypo-allergenic, fragrance free, etc. Love it! While writing this post I discovered there is an eye cream, night cream, and daily moisturizer in this line too. May need to try that. I also love their facial toners, but am trying this one right now.

Thayers Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner
This is an alcohol free all natural toner and it is cheaper than the Burt's Bees brand, but may be less available. However, I can find it in my town and GNC. It doesn't smell as good as I had hoped (I love the smell of roses) but they also have other scents like cucumber, another favorite of mine. So far so good with this one. Onto face moisturizer. I went with my mom and sister's recommendation for Avalon Organics Oil Free Vitamin C face cream and am in LOVE.


I am tempted to try the Burt's Bees sensitive moisturizer since it costs a little less (this one is kinda pricey at 22 bucks) but I seriously think this is going to become a lifetime beauty product for me. A tiny little dab goes a long way, smells amazing, and feels so good.

I have had no breakouts or skin issues with all these changes and have jumped on the all natural cosmetic train (choo choo). Better late than never (right mom and mere). I have to use up my shower gel but just bought the Say Yes to Carrots nourishing body wash. I am interested in their line of products and need to explore a little more.

I am also making mom's deodorant but am still figuring that one out. I added sweet orange essential oil to it and combined with the coco butter it smells like one of those chocolate orange balls you get at Christmas time. The other issue I am having is that using all natural ingredients makes it solid like regular deodorant and hard to spread with your hands. I am trying to find a container like a regular deodorant stick so that I don't have to scrape it off the solid piece with a spoon to put it on. Yucky.

1 comment:

  1. I think instead of pure shea butter, try shea butter cream (Target - 10.00) . It may make a creamier batch. I am having problems with the solidness of it too and may remelt some and add it to the shea butter spread.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...