Sunday, May 6, 2012

Meyer Ranch Branding 2012

This past weekend we headed out to the Meyer Ranch in Richardton, ND to help out with their branding. Eric had been to one before, and Chad (our friend and visitor) and I were first timers.
Each calf needed 5 (I think) vaccinations, a brand, and the male's needed castrated. There were 280 calves so a lot of people came to help out.
Each calf needed to be held down by two people, one on the back and one on the front. They were wrestled to the ground and then put in another pen when done. I was the "gate opener" and "cow shooer" for much of the branding, but I did help with about 4 "wrestling matches." Here's proof.
Despite the smile and relaxed appearance in the picture, I am holding onto that calf leg with all the strength I possess. This was the first participation effort. I soon realized it's a lot easier to hold on without the gloves. I had to scream for someone to get the picture in between holding on for dear life with slippery gloves and fear of getting kicked in the face.
Overall, it was a blast and something I never planned or thought I would do, but am glad I did. Here's a few more photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...