Monday, May 16, 2011

Perrenials

Last year I grew some perennials from seed and had a lady down the street give me some for free from her perfectly landscaped yard after I complimented her. These, combined with the tulips and peony that were here already started my collection and made for a really exciting spring (yeah, I'm a dork). As soon as the snow melted and it was sunny I would check everyday to see if things had started peeking through the ground yet. It made for so much less work in the flower beds and I am adding even more perennials this year. Here's what survived:

Here's the originals, tulips and a peony, which surprisingly came back even though Eric ripped it out last year by accident.

This bed was filled with the help of our neighbor, she gave the day lilies, small yellow irises, and some cute white flower I can't remember the name of.  The bushy ones in the back are my seeded delphiniums. I am kind of proud of myself for these.

My columbines came in strong. Didn't think they would. Last year they got some kind of white powdery fungus and never bloomed. They are looking amazing actually.


Only one of 3 or 4 lupines so far. I think another one may come in because it reseeded, but two are still just sticks and may not make it.

This year I am adding more delphiniums and lupines, a bleeding heart that blooms april-oct., lily of the valley LOVE! (from Eric's mom), oriental poppy's if I can successfully grow them from seed, ranunculus (don't know if it's a perennial in zone 4 though), grape hyacinth, a blue and white flower from a sale bulb box, can't remember it's name,and something called a moss rose that is an annual but apparently re-seeds and comes back each year. I have saved a TON of money growing my own perennials (except for two and the neighbors). If you have the time and are willing to put in the effort it is really worth it. Maybe next year I will only have to start annuals.




1 comment:

  1. Is this in English? I don't understand what you are talking about. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...