Monday, February 20, 2012

Craftsy Block of the Month: January

Thanks to my mother, who finds awesome things online, I am participating in the Craftsy free block of the month class. My mom is doing it too and so is a lady at work after I told her about it. Any kind of creative class is limited up here. Craftsy offers lots of different online classes too, not just sewing. The block of the month happens to be free and some others cost money. I looked at a quick quilting class which I think was around 30 bucks, way cheaper than a quilt class at my local shop.

The awesome part about this class is that you can watch an online video each month that teaches you step by step and also gives you printable directions for each block. I am a month behind but oh well. What I am loving so far is that the blocks use fat quarters so it isn't that expensive for supplies, and each month you learn a different technique. It has been awesome for my beginner skill level. It's also possible that if I wanted to make a whole quilt out of any of the blocks I can save the printed materials and use them later.

January was slashed blocks. They look way harder than they actually were. I loved the first one I made until I made the second one which I love more. I can't wait to do the Febuary blocks!


asterisk block

wonky pound sign block

1 comment:

  1. Be careful on the first Feb. block, don't know if I'd use that technique again. It is all on the bias. Also read comments on the block before you make it if you can. I did and saw that most people's block came out too small so I sewed all the pieces (the ones you cut in half) together with about a 1/8th in. seam and it still barely made it. Then it is kind of stretchy due to being on the bias. I think a whole quilt out of the 2nd Jan. block would be cute. I'll take pics of mine and post too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...