Monday, May 28, 2012

Pinspiration and Turning into Mother

Not only have I made my own deodorant, started quilting more, tried reducing the parabens and chemicals in my cosmetics, begun canning....I have now made my own laundry detergent. My mother would say "You are turning into your mother" (she wouldn't say "you are turning into me" she likes speaking in the third person when people become more like her). I didn't exactly copy her though. I had to tweak it a bite like I did with the other things.

While pinteresting (the pinterest equivalent to googling which is slowly taking over my life), I found this recipe:

Pinned Image

Here's why I love it...it only requires three ingredients and a food processor, it is customizable to your choice of scent/soap, it only takes 1 tablespoon per load, and it has a recipe to make smaller batches. Seriously check out the post from the website source. For 12 bucks or so you can make enough detergent for an entire year! I got the ingredients at walmart (which really was a miracle they had them given the walmart situation in this town). The difference was that I chose this soap:
It was the most natural soap they had and it was almond scent (which I can't resist along with coconut and lilac scented things). Eric was skeptical about the whole "make your own ____" movement until he smelled the soap and then he was on board. I have successfully brainwashed him to love almond scented things as well. I might have to look into Dr. Bronner castille bar soap next batch as they also have almond scent. Not sure how all the oil ingredients in that soap would affect laundry though.

**Update: while the soap box lists none, drugstore.com lists petrolatum as an ingredient in Yardley soap (knew it was too good to be true). I have found mixed info on the Internet and left a message with Yardley customer service asking for clarification. Might be looking for a new soap for the next batch.


3 comments:

  1. I have been making a lot of my own shiz biz too... laundry detergent, all purpose cleaner, etc. I decided to make liquid detergent rather than powder, mostly just because I have never used powdered detergent... but any way it is much cheaper, works just the same, and I think it just feels better to know how it is made and to be less dependent on commercial products.

    So, on pinterest I came across something that was at first disturbing and then as I read more about it, became a little intriguing... but I still feel conflicted about it and want to know your opinion. I am not convinced and have not changed my way of "doing things" yet, but it is interesting if nothing else. I will see if I can find it and will some how tag you or something. I am pretty sure you will not agree or be convinced, but I sort of think your earth hugging, hippy loving, cute-as-pie sister might eventually be.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I found the thing I was cryptically talking about in the previous comment. Check it out here: www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sanitarypads.htm

    Get back at me once you have read about it. :) Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Heck. I really don't think I would be able to do it. Plus, with all the money I am saving making other things, I will splurge on feminine products. That post crossed my hippie comfort zone. Lemme know if you need me to sew for ya though. I also have an extra machine if ya need one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...