Monday, January 31, 2011

Knoephla


Here's what Wikipedia says:

Knoephla, also spelled knephla (pronounced /ˈnɛflə/ in English), is a type of dumpling, commonly used in soups. The word is related to the modern German dialect word Knöpfle, meaning little knob/button. Traditional knoephla soup is a thick chicken and potato soup, almost to the point of being a stew. It is particularly common in the U.S. states of Minnesota, South Dakota, and North Dakota, where there was significant settlement of German emigrants from the Russian Empire.

Here's what I say: "Nefla" (or neffles)

HEAVEN IN A BOWL!

With almost continual snow for two days, a projected high of -5 tomorrow, and spring nowhere in sight, I decided it was time for Knoephla. As I was cooking it hit me that I have never put it on the blog. Travesty! How I apologize for not having shared this sooner.

The Back Story:

Eric went to school up here and always talked about this soup. I tried it everywhere in town and it was NOT GOOD! It was basically watery butter broth with a few invisible pieces of potato. Then I asked a girl at work who gave me her family recipe and I realized what all the fuss was about. Everyone here has their own Knoephla recipe. I have used one and one only and am beyond happy with it. However, I do have to say, use real heavy cream and real butter, and don't skimp. It just won't be the same without them and one bowl isn't going to kill you. If you can't tell I have embraced heavy cream in my cooking. I am even shocked myself. It just tastes too good.


Knoephla Soup

4 cups chicken broth                  Dough:
2 cups water                              2 cups flour
4 medium potatoes dices            1 t. baking powder
1 onion diced                              pinch of salt
1/2 -1 bag carrots sliced             1 egg
1/2 stick butter                            Water to make soft dough
1 bunch fresh parsley
3-4 chicken bouillon cubes
salt and pepper to taste
2 large chicken breasts diced
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pint cream

In a pot combine broth, water, potatoes, chicken, carrots, onion, parsley, butter, bouillon, and salt and pepper. Boil about 20 minutes. Then add cream of chicken soup,cream, and snip in dough.


2 comments:

  1. I am going to make this soup this weekend!!!! Uncle Nasser loves soup and this sounds like a winner! I think we have some German background, don't we? Has anyone ever found evidence of that on Ancestry.com? Warfel? Shuman? Love ya Val!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I didn't mention in the blog...it will seem like there is more dough than you need, but use it all for the dumplings. The first time we only used half or so and we regretted not having more dumplings. Kind of like Gmas apple dumplings and the syrup...you need all that dough in the soup.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...